Pauline Conner(WASHINGTON) — President Donald Trump posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor on Tuesday to 1st Lt. Garlin Conner for his heroic actions during World War II, saying that “he takes his rightful place in the eternal chronicle of American valor.”It’s believed that Garlin has now become the second-most-highly decorated WWII veteran, after Audie Murphy.The award was accepted by Garlin’s wife of 53 years, Pauline Conner, 89, of Clinton County, Kentucky.“Today, we pay tribute to this Kentucky farm boy who stared down evil with the strength of a warrior,” Trump said at the White House.The Conner family had been working for 22 years to have Garlin’s Distinguished Service Cross upgraded to the Medal of Honor – after more recently understanding just how heroic his achievements had been during the war.Born on June 2, 1919, in Aaron, Kentucky, Garlin enlisted in the Army at 22 years old and deployed with the 3rd Infantry Division just a year later.During his 28 months on the front lines, he would be involved in 10 campaigns, participate in four amphibious-assault landings, and be wounded seven times.On Jan. 24, 1945, six German tanks and approximately 600 infantrymen converged on the U.S. position when Garlin ran forward with a military telephone and telephone wire to call in artillery fire on the enemy.For three hours, he hid in a shallow irrigation ditch with little cover from machine-gun and small-arms fire. At one point, German forces came within 10 meters of his location, and Garlin even called artillery fire on his own position in order to push back the enemy.“They [Germans] knew he was there and they couldn’t get him,” Trump said.The Army estimates that the artillery he directed while under fire “killed approximately 50 German soldiers and wounded at least 100 more, thus preventing heavy casualties in his battalion.”When Garlin returned to Kentucky in the summer of 1945, a 15-year old Pauline was in the hometown crowd that gathered to celebrate their “war hero.” She had read stories about Garlin in the newspaper and wanted to meet him.One year later, they were married.The new couple ran a 36-acre farm in Clinton County and raised their son, Paul.“He loved his farm life. He loved his family,” Pauline told reporters at the Pentagon on Monday.He was president of the Clinton County Farm Bureau for 16 years and a frequent church attendee.Though Garlin never spoke about his time in the military, Pauline now recognizes symptoms he exhibited as characteristic of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. She said Garlin would often wake up with nightmares and retreat to their front porch to smoke cigarettes.“He just didn’t want to talk about it,” she said, describing her husband as “a very humble man.”Pauline found her husband’s numerous awards, including a Silver Star and the Purple Heart, at the bottom of his Army duffel bag.When Garlin became sick in 1979, the couple began volunteering with veterans, which she thinks helped spark his desire to upgrade his award to the Medal of Honor. Though Garlin passed away from kidney failure and diabetes in 1998, his family and friends never stopped pushing for that highest honor.Maj. Gen. Leopoldo Quintas, the current commander of the 3rd Infantry Division, said the qualities Garlin exhibited that day in 1945, like the ability to move quickly and communicate, are still important to the Army.“These are fundamentals that we instill in our soldiers today,” Quintas told reporters on Monday. “So much of what happened on the ground that day … has direct application.”“From humble beginnings, greatness comes,” he added.Garlin is the 40th 3rd Infantry Division Soldier to receive the Medal of Honor for actions during WWII.“He [Garlin] will never, ever be forgotten,” Trump said. “We will never forget his story.”Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Lenexa this week decided to cancel the Great Lenexa BBQ Battle due to health and safety concerns with the COVID-19 pandemic.Originally planned for June 26-27 at Sar-Ko-Par Trails Park, the event attracts thousands of barbecue enthusiasts with more than 185 pitmasters, chefs and teams from the region, as well as more than 250 volunteers.“Unfortunately, we’ve reached the determination that it is necessary at this time to cancel the Great Lenexa BBQ Battle,” said City Manager Beccy Yocham to the city council Tuesday evening. “With so many of the decisions that we make, there’s no way to know what the state of the world is going to be when late June rolls around, but I think as long as we keep public health and safety in the forefront and… err on the side of caution in that regard, that’s the right decision.”This year would have marked the 39th annual Great Lenexa BBQ Battle.City staff are primarily concerned with health and safety issues related to large public gatherings and anticipate that large gatherings will be prohibited through at least early summer, Yocham said.Adding to complications is the fact the event is food based, and staff are concerned about having ample access to supplies from vendors whose businesses may be on shaky ground during the shutdown. Staff was also concerned about the safety of judges and volunteers who may be older or at risk.Yocham said the city has not yet spent any money on the event this year, but those deadlines are approaching. Making the decision now avoids any upcoming expenditures for an event that the city could possibly have to cancel anyway.Early cancellation also gives the city time to notify teams, sponsors and vendors, ideally with enough notice before they spend any funds to prepare for the event, she added.The council unanimously supported city’s staff decision, though it did not formally vote on it.“I regret the recommendation, but I think it’s the right one,” said Councilmember Bill Nicks. “I think you’re on absolutely the right path of worrying about our volunteers, the judges, the teams themselves, our staff.”After hearing supportive remarks from the council, city staff began taking steps to cancel on Wednesday morning, including notifying stakeholders.
June 1, 2015 Regular News Lawyers spruce up the Manatee Children’s Services Group Home & Shelter MANATEE BAR VOLUNTEERS took on the task of painting rooms inside the Manatee Children’s Services Group Home & Shelter in Bradenton. The facility provides assistance, safety, housing, clothing, personal hygiene items, and transportation to children ages 6-17 who have been removed from their homes due to abuse, abandonment, and/or neglect. Volunteers included Paul Grondahl, Scott Rieth, Steele Williams, Maureen Sikora, Angel Colonneso, Jennifer Fowler-Hermes, Paul Hermes, Richard Perlman, Rob Eschenfelder, Dorothy and Keith Morse, Lindsey Dunn, Andrea Johnson, Jeff Goethe, and Sue Revell.
The European Marine Energy Centre (EMEC) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Chinese organisations based in Qingdao to support the development of a marine energy test site in the area.Scottish-based EMEC and the University of Edinburgh signed the MoU alongside the Ocean University of China (OUC), Qingdao National Laboratory for Marine Science and Technology (QNLM), and Qingdao Songling Power Environmental Equipment Company (QSPEEC) at the UK-China Energy Dialogue – an annual forum for UK and Chinese government, business and academic leaders to meet and discuss the strategic challenges facing their respective energy sectors.The MoU states intent to share knowledge and carry out fundamental research to establish a wave energy test site in Qingdao.EMEC’s Commercial Director, Oliver Wragg said: “Scotland and China have a common interest to support the global development of marine energy technologies. As the first test centre of its kind, EMEC has endured some steep learning curves during its own development, and we see no point in other countries having to reinvent the wheel.“Having overseen more than 1000 marine energy activities at our test sites in Orkney covering device deployments, grid connections, cable laying operations, data collection and various monitoring activities, we have many experiences to share with our Chinese counterparts that can make their journey a great deal smoother.“And by working together, we can help open up markets across the world for wave and tidal energy technologies currently in development.”Professor Hongda Shi from Ocean University of China (OUC) said: “Marine renewable energy in China has the potential for a brilliant future, but we have a long way to go. The short-cut for development is to cooperate with the countries who have advanced technology and abundant experience. Scotland is no doubt such a country, and EMEC is the leader of the domain.“Enterprise, together with university, can make both theoretical and applicable achievements. We hope that collaboration between both countries will make marine renewable energy a big market which benefits Scotland and China.”Professor Robin Wallace, of the University of Edinburgh added: “Developing wave and tidal energy technologies, human capacity and know-how to help address the energy trilemma of security, affordability and sustainability is a global challenge. Working together in international collaborations, such as this, will help to meet that exciting challenge and accelerate the establishment of the sector.”Image: EMEC
Cricket Cricket PNG announced last week the signing of Tim Coyle to the coaching panel for our national teams as they prepare for a very big year on the cricket fields around the world. The CPNG chief executive officer Greg Campbell said “it is a real coup for Cricket PNG to pick up Coyle’s services for 2019. “He brings a wealth of experience having coached at Cricket Tasmania for 22 years with the Tigers and Hurricanes. “He has worked for Cricket Australia as a specialist fielding consultant coach as well as coaching in the Australian Women’s National team and most resonantly with the Melbourne Renegades Women in the WBBL.” Coyle has joined the group at the end of their preseason fitness program to fine tune the teams as we move into the skills phase of our preparation. “This is to get the PNG Barramundis ready for their upcoming East Asia Pacific Regional Final to be played here at Amini Park from March 20-24 against Vanuatu and the Philippines. PNG Barramundis coach Joe Dawes said “Tim’s expertise in Fielding and wicket keeping will be invaluable to our teams as we prepare to close the gap on the higher ranked nations. These skills will help us win the tight games and improve our rankings. “He has been impressed by the national set up and the natural ability in our players is among the best he has seen anywhere in his coaching career. “He can see no reason why we can’t be regarded as the best in the world in this department,” Dawes said. The current focus for Tim is preparing the Barramundis for the upcoming WT20 EAP Regional qualifier in PNG March and he will also accompany them to Namibia in April for the World Cricket League Division 2 tournament where they will be playing for a ODI status. Following these events he will turn his focus to the Lewas for their WT20 and 50 over qualifiers in Vanuatu in May and the U19 Garamuts who play their World Cup qualifier in Japan in June.
See also:Mourinho unhappy with players after drawMaribor v Chelsea player ratings Maribor 1 Chelsea 1 Eden Hazard missed a late penalty for Chelsea in Slovenia, where Nemanja Matic’s 73rd-minute equaliser rescued them from a shock Champions League defeat.The Blues were trailing to Agim Ibraimi’s fine strike when Matic poked home John Terry’s goal-bound header from Cesc Fabregas’ corner.AdChoices广告A win would have clinched Chelsea’s place in the knockout stage with two matches to spare.But, having been fouled in the box by Mitja Viler with five minutes remaining, Hazard made a complete hash of the resulting spot-kick.The Belgian attempted to outsmart Jasmin Handanovic but the keeper stood his ground and embarrassed him by easily saving his woeful attempt.Handanovic had earlier produced saves to deny Didier Drogba and Hazard, while Andre Schurrle’s blushes were spared by an offside flag after the German contrived to miss from three yards out after being set up by Willian.Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho made a double substitution at the break, sending on Diego Costa and Oscar in place of Schurrle and Willian.But five minutes later his team were behind.Filipe Luis was slow to close down Ibraimi and he took full advantage, brilliantly curling the ball into the top corner of the net from the edge of the penalty area.And it would have been 2-0 had Luka Zahovic then not inexplicably missed the target with the goal at his mercy after being found by Viler’s left-wing cross.Chelsea responded strongly, with Drogba going close and the visitors being denied a penalty after Oscar went down under a challenge from Arghus, before Matic eventually hauled them level.Had Handanovic not then brilliantly saved from Costa, Hazard not fluffed his lines or Zahovic not missed that earlier sitter, the outcome could have been very different.The result, along with Sporting Lisbon’s 4-2 victory over Schalke, leaves Chelsea – now unbeaten in 16 matches – three points clear of the German side and needing to win one of their remaining two Group G games to guarantee their progress.Chelsea (4-2-3-1): Cech; Ivanovic, Zouma, Terry, Filipe Luis (Ramires 57); Matic, Fabregas; Schurrle (Costa 45), Willian (Oscar 45), Hazard; Drogba. Subs not used: Courtois, Cahill, Azpilicueta, Salah. Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
AURORA | For nearly 75 years, three fuchsia letters have beckoned movie and theater patrons to 9900 East Colfax Avenue.At 61-feet-tall, the marquee of the Aurora Fox Arts Center is hard to miss. But 73 years of Colorado weather have caused the neon beacon to appear a bit long in the tooth. Rusty bolts and sun-stained paint are just a couple of the wrinkles currently visible to a discerning eye.on Thursday Oct. 15, 2015 at Aurora Fox Theater.Photo by Gabriel Christus/Aurora SentinelBut now, thanks to a cash injection from the city and the Colorado State Historic Fund, the teal sign is primed to receive a face-lift. The city’s Historic Sites and Preservation Office last month received a $72,837 grant from the state to spruce up the Fox’s neon sign and facade. The city had originally requested $83,560 for the restoration project, according to state documents.The city will pitch in an additional $30,000 of municipal funds for the restoration, according to Midori Clark, director of the city’s Library and Cultural Services Department.Visit Aurora is giving an additional $5,000, and the Aurora Historical Society is contributing another $2,476, Clark said.The funds will be used to retool some faulty wiring and revamp the sign’s neon tubes, among other improvements.Originally opened as a movie theater in 1946, the city purchased The Fox in 1985. A city-sponsored theater company has been based in the building — originally an elongated Quonset hut — ever since. “I think anyone who grew up in Aurora during that time frame has very fond memories of the sign and the theater of itself,” Clark said. “It’s really important to us now to maintain the flavor of that area and restore that iconic sign so that a whole new generation of Aurorans can recognize it and make their own memories there.”The Fox’s 35th season kicks off Sept. 20.The sign renovations are expected to begin in the coming months and be completed in March 2021.