Home Big data tipped to deliver massive societal impact GSMA seeks 6GHz boost for 5G La GSMA reclama el uso de la banda de 6 GHz para la 5G Related Tags Author GSMA lays out plan for MWC21 Previous ArticleGSMA hails North America 5G leadershipNext ArticleQualcomm, Intel highlight 5G opportunities LIVE FROM MWC19 LOS ANGELES: A GSMA-commissioned study found big data could positively impact more than 150 million lives by 2025, with potential to increase financial inclusion, improve access to healthcare and boost environmental initiatives.The Mobile Big Data Solutions for a Better Future study, compiled by PricewaterhouseCoopers (PWC), assessed how the combination of big data and AI could be used to contribute to achievements related to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).Published at the opening of MWC19 Los Angeles, it predicted huge benefits in several sectors. These include offering 60 million people access to better healthcare and increasing access to financial services for 70 million people.Applications in the medical field could also enable more informed infrastructure planning for authorities and better identification of risk areas for diseases. Other potential use cases included managing air pollution limits and helping disaster response efforts.GSMA director general Mats Granryd said: “The unparalleled reach of mobile networks across the globe provides a unique opportunity to use mobile big data solutions to solve problems and save lives.”But, he noted harnessing the power of data analysis and AI “to unlock valuable new insight will require investment, innovation and collaboration across a range of stakeholders, including government agencies, development organisations and mobile operators”. Subscribe to our daily newsletter Back Chris joined the Mobile World Live team in November 2016 having previously worked at a number of UK media outlets including Trinity Mirror, The Press Association and UK telecoms publication Mobile News. After spending 10 years in journalism, he moved… Read more Chris Donkin AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 22 OCT 2019 GSMASDGs
Don’t believe everything you hear. That isn’t just some old adage. It’s a general rule instilled in most of us as young children, one that permeates our subconscious as adults. It implores us to not see the world through rose-colored glasses and innocent naiveté, but to view it through a prism of skepticism. It’s also a rule that doesn’t often apply in golf. Hey, this is a game based on an honor system. Competitors don’t foot-wedge their ball out of a gnarly lie; they don’t write 6 on the scorecard when they’ve knowingly hit it seven times. There are few occasions to not believe what you hear. If a golfer insists he hit the ball great but couldn’t putt it into the ocean, you tend to take him for his word. Three separate golf-related stories in the past few days, however, have stretched the limits of what we can believe and stirred our collective sense of skepticism. Robert Allenby said he was kidnapped, beaten and robbed on Friday night after missing the Sony Open cut. Tiger Woods said he was bumped by a cameraman at a ski race, knocking out his left front tooth. Dustin Johnson, while admitting to having personal “issues,” said that he’s never had problems with cocaine or alcoholism. You’re allowed to believe every word of what these three players have said in regard to their specific stories. You can choose to believe none of it. Or you can think each instance is – like they say in the movies – “based on a true story,” some mixture of accuracy and embellishment and denial that has morphed into their public assertion. Like trying to prove a false negative, none of these contentions can be deemed unsubstantiated until there exists confirmation to negate them. In the curious case of Allenby, the investigation is still ongoing. Four days after he sustained facial contusions and a blow to his left eye that left it swollen shut, the Honolulu Police Department issued its first public statement, essentially verifying what we already knew – that no arrests have been made and detectives are still poring over surveillance tape. Since the story went public Saturday, Allenby has been bewildered by social media postulations that there’s something implausible about the entire scenario. And he has a valid point: Unless you believe those contusions were self-inflicted – a near-impossible assertion even for the most cynical among us – there is proof that something happened to Allenby that night. And yet, there is a sense of skepticism surrounding the case. In the hours after the incident, Allenby’s memory was hazy; he insisted he couldn’t remember anything between leaving the Amuse Wine Bar and being rescued in a park by a homeless woman and a military veteran. In the days since, he maintained that he was driven six miles away (reported witnesses have said they found him in a park, around the corner from the wine bar) and suggested that the woman must have been paid off by the assailants to keep her silence (in fact, it was Allenby who later gave her a $1,000 gift card for being a good Samaritan). Can he be forgiven for failing to know all the details after being beaten and bloodied? Absolutely. But he similarly shouldn’t fail to see how some faraway observers aren’t convinced all the details are true, simply based on those claims. Woods surprised girlfriend Lindsey Vonn at the Olympia delle Tofane super-G event in Italy on Monday, watching in person as she claimed a record 63rd World Cup victory. The sweet gesture and historic title were quickly overshadowed, though, by another story. When Woods pulled his skeleton ski mask down from his mouth and smiled, photographers caught him without one of his front teeth. “During a crush of photographers at the awards’ podium,” explained his agent, Mark Steinberg, “a media member with a shoulder-mounted video camera pushed and surged towards the stage, turned and hit Tiger Woods in the mouth. Woods’ tooth was knocked out by the incident.” Vonn was there, and corroborated the story in a Facebook post. Never mind the fact that photographs showed no blood and no other damage; never mind that race organizers and security personnel insist they were near Woods the entire time and never witnessed any such incident. All of which leads to skepticism. Who’s telling the truth here? What really happened? None of it, however, answers this question: If the world’s most famous athlete wasn’t bumped by a photographer, why would he show up in public sans front tooth and just where, exactly, did that gap in his grill come from? That tooth has always been yellower than his others, a fact which can be determined after examining old video and photos like the Zapruder film. When it comes to Camp Woods, where spin control is often the first line of defense, the normal reaction to such rhetoric is often skepticism – which is why so many are having trouble digesting this assertion. Of course, it all underscores what this really means: Unlike the Allenby case, a criminal matter in which the authorities are searching for suspects, it was either an accident or some bizarre tale that has yet to be told. It’s a missing tooth that will soon be replaced. That’s all. Johnson’s story is shrouded in similar mystery, though it holds greater importance to his ultimate well-being. When he first took a curious leave of absence from professional golf last August, it was amid speculation that he was suspended for recreational drug use. That speculation soon became reported as fact, when Golf.com wrote that he’d been banned from the PGA Tour for six months for that very reason. This week, Johnson broke his silence to Sports Illustrated, speaking in varying ambiguities about his personal struggles. “I did not have a problem,” he said when asked explicitly about cocaine. “It’s just something I’m not going to get into. I have issues. But that’s not the issue.” To summarize: Johnson took a leave of absence from competition to – in his words at the time – “seek professional help for personal challenges.” He conceded this week that he didn’t enter rehab and wasn’t addicted to drugs, but did “have issues.” Without directly addressing those issues, though, Johnson has left himself open to public skepticism. All three of these cases – the assertions by Allenby, Woods and Johnson – have been opened to interpretation. Each allows us to understand what we’ve been told, then issue judgment based on the veracity of the story and the background. Again, you can choose to believe every word. You can choose to believe none of it. Or you can choose to believe some combination thereof.
The two major candidates for governor are on pace to set state spending records in Montana’s marquee political contest, while the bid for the state’s lone congressional seat is also shaping up to be one of the most expensive in Montana House-race history.Democratic Gov. Steve Bullock’s fundraising skills were on full display as he reported collecting nearly $160,000 during the past month in his bid for re-election, according to campaign finance reports for the period covering Feb. 26 through March 27.GOP rival Greg Gianforte reported raising about $112,000 during the same period, according to reports filed with the state’s Commissioner of Political Practices.That leaves Bullock with roughly $1.1 million socked away for a pitched political battle that is just beginning to hit its stride, while Gianforte reports having $363,000 of campaign cash in the bank.Bullock’s campaign isn’t easing up its fundraising efforts, however, and campaign manager Eric Hyers said he worries the incumbent candidate would quickly lose ground if Gianforte taps his own personal wealth to finance his campaign – a major concern for Democrats from the beginning.“My biggest anxiety is making sure we have the resources to compete against both an opponent who will likely spend millions of dollars of his own money, and his deep-pocketed allies at the [Republican Governors Association],” Hyers said. “We have to turn up the heat. We simply can’t afford to fall behind now, or we’ll never make up the ground.”Gianforte came into his fortune by transforming a software business conceived in his Bozeman home into a global enterprise, earning millions of dollars before selling the company, RightNow Technologies, to Oracle for $1.8 billion.Bullock has already raised more than $1.5 million in his campaign for a second term, putting him on pace to handily exceed the $1.9 million he raised during his 2012 campaign.In total, nearly $5.2 million in contributions flowed into the gubernatorial campaign four years ago, the most for any gubernatorial election in state history.Republican opponent Rick Hill drew $2.1 million in contributions that cycle, outraising Bullock.In the race for the U.S. House of Representatives, freshman congressman Ryan Zinke’s re-election campaign reported raising more than $783,000 during the first three months of the year and had more than $1 million to spend against his Democratic opponent, Denise Juneau.The Zinke campaign said its latest fundraising numbers are the most money ever amassed by a Montana candidate for congress this early in the campaign.Meanwhile, Juneau gained about $363,000 in her bid to unseat Zinke after a single term in Congress, with $524,000 cash on hand to execute the campaign, according to documents filed with the Federal Elections Commission.Juneau, who is finishing her second term as Montana’s superintendent of schools, has raised $620,000 since launching her campaign. Email Stay Connected with the Daily Roundup. Sign up for our newsletter and get the best of the Beacon delivered every day to your inbox.
Share Sharing is caring! Share Share Tweet 436 Views no discussions EntertainmentLocalNews Six to receive Golden Drum Awards in August by: – July 18, 2018 Chief Cultural Officer, Raymond LawrenceSix Golden Drum and six Special Recognition Awards will be presented as part of the 2018 Emancipation celebration.The annual celebration is an opportunity for the Division of Culture to create greater awareness about the significance of and abolition of slavery.Emancipation, which will be observed from 27 July to 4 August under the theme ‘Building A Culture Of Unity’, was launched at the Old Mill Cultural Centre in Canefield on Wednesday 18 July 2018.For the first time, the awardees were announced during the launching ceremony.Chief Cultural Officer, Raymond Lawrence announced the that Michele Henderson, Cornell Phillip, Aileen Burton, The Mighty Picky, Jeno Jacob and Donavan Samuel will be presented with Golden Drum awards on 4 August 2018. The Golden Drum Awards has been an annual event organized by the National Cultural Council in collaboration with the Cultural Division from 1982. It honors individuals who have given more than twenty years of service in the Arts.Mr. Lawrence also revealed that Special Recognition awards will be presented to the Possie Culture Pan, St. Luke’s Primary School, Castle Bruce Secondary School, Paix Bouche Drummers, Fernella Prosper of Petite Soufriere and Jacinta Bruney. The Special Recognition Award is issued to those who have made special contributions in culture over a period of time generally between ten and twenty years and to those who have achieved notable successes in a particular field of arts and culture. This award serves as recognition of their efforts and motivates them to continue contributing to the development of culture.“We congratulate and encourage them to continue with their good work that they have been doing in the arts and culture,” Mr. Lawrence stated.The Golden Drum Awards is scheduled to take place at the Old Mill Cultural Centre from 8pm on Saturday 4 August and is free and open to the public. It will also include “very exciting performances”, Mr. Lawrence added.