John Legend, Chrissy Teigen snap up another Nolita penthouse

first_imgChrissy Teigen and John Legend with 374 Broome Street (Credit: Karwai Tang/Getty Images; Google Maps)John Legend and Chrissy Teigen have scooped up a second penthouse in their Nolita building.The celeb pair dropped $7.7 million for another penthouse at the Brewster Carriage House, property records filed Tuesday with the city show. The couple had previously shelled out just over $9 million for another penthouse in the building, where at one point they owned a one-bedroom apartment.The attorney who signed the deed as Teigen and Legend’s representative declined to comment.The prior owner, Nicolas Poitevin, scooped up the pad in 2013 for $6.7 million. A message sent to what appears to be Potevin’s LinkedIn account was not immediately returned.ADVERTISEMENTLegend and Teigen’s new abode spans almost 3,500 square feet on the fifth and sixth floors of the building, while their current penthouse measures over 2,600 square feet across the rest of the sixth floor. Both penthouses also have access to the building’s roof.The latest penthouse, PHB, appears to have been marketed as PHN on StreetEasy. It first hit the market in September for $8.5 million, but the price was cut two months later to around $8 million. The couple went into contract on the home in December and closed on the deal about two weeks ago.Tom Doyle of Sotheby’s International Realty was the listing agent. He also declined to comment.The Brewster Carriage House sits on the corner of Mott Street at 374 Broome Street. The 19th-century building was once home to Brewster & Co., a carriage manufacturer. Developer Ross Morgan picked up the building in 2005 to convert into a luxury residential building.Write to Mary Diduch at [email protected]last_img read more

‘Dishonest’ and ‘deluded’: MP accuses Day to his face in parliament

first_imgMercer: ‘Complete work of fiction’‘My problem is that you come here and make these allegations, that the British went into Basra and all hell broke loose and suddenly no-one cared about human rights and everyone was very disappointed, and it is a complete work of fiction.’Later in the session, Day explained that his firm had sued the MoD rather than individual soldiers. He pointed out that around 330 claims against the government in relation to Iraq had been successful, with more than 600 still being processed.Mercer continued his cross-examination by asking Day if he felt remorse or regret about the situation faced by soldiers accused of wrongdoing.Day said: ‘I am proud of the system that we represent and the rule of law, and the rule of law means that at times soldiers will have to come and give evidence. That is tough for them as it is for anybody else.’Mercer responded: ‘It was entirely the product of deliberate lies, reckless speculation and ingrained hostility. You are deluded Martyn, you are absolutely deluded.’The MP accused Day of exploiting the English justice system and the difficult scenarios that arise during warfare, adding: ‘I don’t blame you for it because you are making money out of it. The reason you don’t go after individual soldiers I would suggest is simply because there is no money in it for you.’Day confirmed that his firm had received £11m in fees and disbursements from the government in relation to claims generated from the Iraq conflict. He said neither he nor any member of his firm (except for one individual) had been to Iraq to monitor first-hand the activities of third parties on the ground who were paid a referral fee for each claim they brought in. Asked if he would apologise for the lives Mercer said had been ‘ruined’ by litigation, Day said: ‘I am not going to apologise for the rule of law.’Pressed on whether Leigh Day had an agenda against the armed forces, Day replied: ‘No, not at all. I totally support the British Army… that is why it is so important we learn the lessons to make sure they do not make the big mistakes that they made this time round… I am clear that rather than us being able to have a proper debate about the rights and wrongs of what has happened in Iraq, one is surrounded by so much murkiness that it is so hard to get at the actual truth.’ The senior partner of human rights firm Leigh Day has been directly accused of dishonesty over his handling of claims against the Ministry of Defence by an MP enjoying parliamentary privilege. Martyn Day was cleared of misconduct in 2017 by the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal in relation to the Al-Sweady claims. He prevailed in the High Court when the Solicitors Regulation Authority tried to appeal the tribunal’s decision last year.But the issue reignited today during an evidence session of the House of Commons defence committee, where Day appeared as a witness to speak about the statute of limitation for forces veterans.The discussion turned to Day’s role in gathering and issuing claims against the MoD on behalf of individuals who purported to be civilians but turned out to be members of an Iraqi militia army.During a fraught and often tense interchange with Conservative MP Johnny Mercer, who served in the British Army, Mercer said Day had been ‘dishonest throughout this process’.Dishonesty was never alleged by the SRA before the tribunal during the seven-week hearing in 2017.Asked by Day if he would repeat the accusation outside parliament, Mercer said: ‘No problem whatsoever. You have known for a long time that the individuals in the Al-Sweady case were part of the Mahdi Army, that documentation [which showed it] was found in your possession.last_img read more

Baron Cup 2019: Mentor Emerges After A Tight First Period, Advances to Saturday Semi-Final 7-4

first_img Payton Vince is either talking about sports or watching sports. He covers sports for Metro Networks and is also a writer for He grew up in Brooklyn Heights,Ohio for most of his life then around senior year of high school moved to Cleveland. A fan of the Cleveland Indians, Cavaliers, and a Pittsburgh Steelers, he graduated from Cuyahoga Heights High School (Class of 2014) and also graduated from the Ohio Center for Broadcasting in 2015. He bowled and played baseball in high school, and is a huge fan of independent wrestling and WWE, and can almost always find him at an independent show. Lastly, Payton is a backstage interviewer for Mega Championship Wrestling in Elyria, and is one of the three on ‘That Sports Show’ which airs daily from 2-4pm on Related Topics2019 Baron CupBaron CupfeaturedMentor CardinalsNorth Olmsted Eagles Payton Vincecenter_img Game Two of Day Three of Baron Cup action featured the Mentor Cardinals against the North Olmsted Eagles. Mentor Cardinals came in seeded one for the Baron Cup I bracket, and North Olmsted was seeded eighth. The Cardinals came in with a record of 25-4-2 and the Eagles came in with a record of 7-12-2. Mentor has outscored their opponents this season 167-58, a goal differential of 109.Mentor and North Olmsted both got off to an early start in the first period with the Cardinals scoring first when Evan McBride scored with 13:15 remaining, and was assisted by Andrew McBride and Kyle Backston.The Eagles answered back less than a minute later when Shawn Donovan scored and was assisted by Riley Vertosnik. Things were quiet for a bit but at the 5:58 mark the Eagles scored an unassisted goal by Vertosnik.The Cardinals answered back almost a minute later of playing time with 4:44 on the clock when Backston scored and was assisted by Cameron Mocny and Evan McBride. The Eagles did not let the tie continue on long when Vertosnik scored and was assisted by Jake Mlady with 3:44 left.Mentor fought until the end of the opening period so they did not go into the first intermission trailing, which was accomplished with 47 seconds left when Evan McBride scored goal number two, which was assisted by Backston and Andrew McBride.A crazy opening period was upon us with a score of 3-3 to close, with neither team able to get an edge.Mentor answers back with 47 seconds remaining. Goal by Evan McBride. (his second) Don’t look at the seeding folks when you watch this game because both teams are showing it doesn’t even matter. @BaronCup_GCHSHL @mentorhockey @NOEagles— Payton Vince (@PaytonVince) February 7, 2019Mentor jumped ahead in the second period with 13:19 in the period when Jack Heller found the net for the Cardinals, that goal was assisted by Mitchell Elliott and Henry Cseh. Mentor gets an insurance goal with 7:31 in the second period, the goal was scored by Jack O’Donnell, and was assisted by Mason Klammer which gave the Cardinals a 5-3 lead.In the third period, the Cardinals added on two more goals by Elliott and Heller. The Eagles didn’t go down easily though scoring a goal from Vertosnik with 6:43 in the final period, which was his third.Evan McBride commented on the adjustment the Cardinals made between the first and second period:“We took some criticism in between the intermission and decided to backtrack for once. We also put up pucks in the net and played better than we did before.”With the victory by Mentor, they will face the winner of the Baron Cup I matchup Wednesday night between Cleveland Heights and Hudson. That semi-final game will take place at 5:30 pm on Saturday.last_img read more

No fun rerun — Utes lose a close one in OT

first_imgE-mail: [email protected] ALBUQUERQUE — These close losses are getting old in a hurry for the Utah basketball team.For the third game in a row, the Utes had a chance to win in the final minute, only to lose, this time 77-67 in overtime to New Mexico Tuesday night in The Pit. It marked the second time in a week the Utes have lost a road game in overtime.The deflating defeat was a near repeat of losses to San Diego State and BYU as the Utes battled back from a large second-half deficit and had a chance to win, but weren’t able to grab a win due to lack of execution down the stretch and a failure to make key free throws.”I’m disappointed, not discouraged,” said Utah Jim Boylen. “Our team’s battling. Our team cares. Our team has bought in.”His Utes overcame a 10-point halftime deficit and actually led by nine points with under nine minutes left in the game. But they couldn’t score for six minutes as the Lobos came back to force overtime and were outmanned in the overtime with a lineup consisting of four guards and forward Shaun Green, after Luke Nevill fouled out.Utah finished 9 of 16 from the foul line, compared to New Mexico’s 18 of 25, including their last 11 of 13.”You can analyze the stats any way you want, but we make our free throws, we win the game,” Boylen said. “That’s three games in a row.”Nevill made just 5 of 10 on the night, while Tyler Kepkay, an 87 percent free throw shooter, and Luka Drca, each missed in the overtime.Johnnie Bryant led the Utes with 25 points, including 5 of 7 from 3-point range. However, after sinking a 3-pointer to put the Utes up 56-47 with 8:30 left, he didn’t get a single shot the rest of the game.Boylen explained that the New Mexico defense was overplaying Bryant, which left the lane open for other Utes to drive. The only problem was, over the last eight minutes of regulation, the Utes only made two of seven shots and turned the ball over four times.Bryant said the Lobos were “face-guarding” him and he wasn’t able to ever get the ball.The Lobos dominated the first half, leading 31-21 as center Daniel Faris, who went scoreless against Air Force on Saturday, was able to put up 11 shots against the Utes, while Luke Nevill had zero field goal tries in the first half.For the second straight game, the Utes started Bryant instead of Carlon Brown in the second half and Bryant delivered two quick 3-pointers to get the Utes back in the game.The Lobos regrouped and pushed the lead back to nine at 44-35 before the Utes rallied, thanks in part to a technical foul on a Lobo assistant coach and the leadership of Luka Drca, who played the last 18 minutes, off the bench.It was 44-39 UNM when just before Ramon Martinez sank a 3-pointer, official Scott Thornley turned and called a technical on UNM assistant Craig Neal. The 3-pointer was waved off and Bryant sank two free throws at the other end, a five-point swing.The Utes kept on going, scoring on seven straight possessions as Tyler Kepkay and Shaun Green made threes and Bryant sank a pair of threes. Suddenly it was 56-47 Utah, but they couldn’t get stops on New Mexico’s next four possessions, allowing the Lobos to tie it at 56-56.Tied 60-60, the Lobos’ J.R. Giddens missed a shot with 15 seconds left then the Utes’ Kepkay missed with three seconds left and Jamal Smith missed at the buzzer, sending the game into overtime.For the second straight overtime game, the 7-foot-1 Nevill couldn’t get the opening tip against an opponent six inches smaller and on the Lobos’ first possession, he fouled Farris, his fifth of the game.When asked about losing Nevill to fouls in the first 21 seconds of overtime, Boylen said, “It’s a killer.”Boylen did his best to hold back on commenting on the officiating, but said wondered about Nevill’s fourth foul near the end of regulation when he cleanly swatted away Jamal Smith’s layup try and was called for a foul and also wondered about a foul against New Mexico in overtime when Drca made a basket, but was given a 1-and-1, rather than the basket a “and one.””There were a couple of big calls that didn’t go our way, but that happens in these games,” Boylen said. “They probably thought the same thing on their side.”The Lobos finished with five players in double figures, led by Faris with 15, Giddens and Chad Toppert with 14, Smith with 12 and Dairese Gary with 10.Besides Bryant’s 25, Nevill had 13 points and 9 rebounds and Kepkay had 12 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists. The Utes return home for a pair of home games Saturday against TCU at noon and Wednesday against Wyoming. The Utes and Lobos meet in Salt Lake on Feb. 23. Relatedcenter_img Utah game at a glancelast_img read more