iPad Killing Netbooks Already?

first_imgApple’s Initial Supply StrugglesApple, too, was caught a little off-guard by the iPad’s initial success, which led to supply issues that delayed the international launch by a month. On May 3, the company released a statement which quoted Jobs as saying that iPad “demand continues to exceed supply…” Some have claimed that Apple is creating artificial demand for the product to generate interest, but analysts believe that Apple is just having difficulty scaling up production due to manufacturing complexity. However, Broadpoint AmTech analyst Brian Marshall says the learning curve the company is facing is “only temporary.” Even with production delays, Apple sold 1 million iPads in 28 days, touts a recent press release – “less than half of the 74 days it took to achieve this milestone with the iPhone,” it reads.Clearly, there is still a pent-up desire for low-cost, portable computing, but it seems the tide may be shifting from netbook-sized “totables” to touch-screens. Considering that the pre-iPad month of December saw a still respectable 179% year-over-year growth for the netbook market, it’s hard not to draw comparisons between Apple’s news and the netbook market as a whole. Morgan Stanley’s Katy Huberty certainly does, claiming the tanking sales are “collateral damage,” says DeWitt, from Apple’s tablet announcement and launch. iPad Cannibalizing Other MarketsIn case you’re still not convinced that this correlation is also causation, Huberty digs up a Morgan Stanley/Alphawise survey from March focused on consumer buying intent. Here, she found that 44% of U.S. consumers planned to buy an iPad instead of a notebook or netbook computer. sarah perez Related Posts What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagementcenter_img An interesting chart released from Morgan Stanley Research this morning shows that during the month of April – the month the iPad launched – netbook sales stalled. Did the iPad really have that much impact on an industry that was once the fastest-growing segment of the PC market? Or was the netbook’s fall from grace bound to happen at some point, with or without the Apple tablet’s help, as consumers discovered how hard it is to type on those tiny keyboards?The netbook market saw incredible growth around this time last year. CNNMoney’s Philip Elmer-DeWitt, who uncovered the chart in a research report about HP’s acquisition of Palm, notes that netbook sales peaked last summer at “an astonishing 641% year-over-year growth rate.” But in January, coincidentally (or not?) the same month that Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced the forthcoming tablet computer dubbed the iPad, netbook sales took a nose dive. But by nose dive, we mean they only saw 68% year-over-year growth during this time frame, the first month of the new year. That’s not actually all that bad, is it? It only looks bad in comparison to the incredible numbers netbooks saw last summer. But what’s more telling is that the numbers continued to trend downwards since then: 53% in February, 25% in March and a meager 5% in April. Did consumers rush out and buy iPads instead of netbooks? Or do they plan to at some point, a decision which is now affecting netbook sales? Tags:#Apple#mobile#NYT#Trends#web The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technology Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaceslast_img read more

After uproar, U.K. Parliament’s science committee now has a female member

first_imgThe United Kingdom’s House of Parliament in London, with the Big Ben clock tower. We are pleased to announce that our membership has been confirmed and @CommonsSTC is up and running: https://t.co/YniGfSyB07 pic.twitter.com/45uejKeTW6— Sci & Tech Committee (@CommonsSTC) September 12, 2017 An “embarrassed” Darren Jones, who was selected by the Labor Party to be a member of the science committee, told The Independent: “I normally refuse to take part in all male panels, which makes the makeup of this committee difficult for me.” He explained that no women in the Labor Party had volunteered to be on the science committee. “The main challenge is most of the women Labor MPs [members of Parliament] who have experience in this area are already busy doing other things.”Yesterday afternoon, Vicky Ford announced she was “chuffed to be elected.” Ford, the conservative MP for Chelmsford, U.K., was previously a member of the European Parliament where she was involved in setting up Horizon 2020, the European Union’s research funding program. Another slot was taken by Adam Holloway, conservative MP for Gravesham, U.K., who has a background in TV journalism.Lamb’s letter also asked the parties to review how they make nominations for committee membership “to encourage an appropriate gender-balance and wider diversity.” No response yet, according to a committee spokesperson. One chair on the panel remains to be filled, by the Labor Party. Jo Johnson, minister for universities and science, called for the situation to be resolved so that the science committee has “basic legitimacy.”The chair of the committee, Norman Lamb of the Liberal Democrat Party, quickly turned to damage control. “I think it’s essential that the committee has women in its membership,” he tweeted, explaining that the United Kingdom’s political parties are in charge of selecting committee members. Lamb wrote to the party whips yesterday urging them to include women in the nominations to fill three remaining chairs. Before dawn this past Tuesday morning, the House of Commons Science and Technology Committee tweeted that it was “pleased to announced our membership has been confirmed.” Parliamentary committees had been dissolved after the recent U.K. election, and now the panel was rolling out its new contingent of lawmakers. The only problem: All eight of the mostly smiling faces belonged to men.This made the science committee Parliament’s only panel without any women. In the previous Parliament, women made up 60% of the membership of the science committee, including its first chair.Many observers were dismayed. “My heart sank,” blogged Sarah Main, director of the Campaign for Science and Engineering in London. Physicist Athene Donald of the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom opined in The Guardian: “It is not encouraging for young female scientists to see that parliament apparently cares so little about their futures that they couldn’t even come up with even that long-derided sole token woman.” Sign up for our daily newsletterGet more great content like this delivered right to you!Country *AfghanistanAland IslandsAlbaniaAlgeriaAndorraAngolaAnguillaAntarcticaAntigua and BarbudaArgentinaArmeniaArubaAustraliaAustriaAzerbaijanBahamasBahrainBangladeshBarbadosBelarusBelgiumBelizeBeninBermudaBhutanBolivia, Plurinational State ofBonaire, Sint Eustatius and SabaBosnia and HerzegovinaBotswanaBouvet IslandBrazilBritish Indian Ocean TerritoryBrunei DarussalamBulgariaBurkina FasoBurundiCambodiaCameroonCanadaCape VerdeCayman IslandsCentral African RepublicChadChileChinaChristmas IslandCocos (Keeling) IslandsColombiaComorosCongoCongo, The Democratic Republic of theCook IslandsCosta RicaCote D’IvoireCroatiaCubaCuraçaoCyprusCzech RepublicDenmarkDjiboutiDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEquatorial GuineaEritreaEstoniaEthiopiaFalkland Islands (Malvinas)Faroe IslandsFijiFinlandFranceFrench GuianaFrench PolynesiaFrench Southern TerritoriesGabonGambiaGeorgiaGermanyGhanaGibraltarGreeceGreenlandGrenadaGuadeloupeGuatemalaGuernseyGuineaGuinea-BissauGuyanaHaitiHeard Island and Mcdonald IslandsHoly See (Vatican City State)HondurasHong KongHungaryIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIran, Islamic Republic ofIraqIrelandIsle of ManIsraelItalyJamaicaJapanJerseyJordanKazakhstanKenyaKiribatiKorea, Democratic People’s Republic ofKorea, Republic ofKuwaitKyrgyzstanLao People’s Democratic RepublicLatviaLebanonLesothoLiberiaLibyan Arab JamahiriyaLiechtensteinLithuaniaLuxembourgMacaoMacedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic ofMadagascarMalawiMalaysiaMaldivesMaliMaltaMartiniqueMauritaniaMauritiusMayotteMexicoMoldova, Republic ofMonacoMongoliaMontenegroMontserratMoroccoMozambiqueMyanmarNamibiaNauruNepalNetherlandsNew CaledoniaNew ZealandNicaraguaNigerNigeriaNiueNorfolk IslandNorwayOmanPakistanPalestinianPanamaPapua New GuineaParaguayPeruPhilippinesPitcairnPolandPortugalQatarReunionRomaniaRussian FederationRWANDASaint Barthélemy Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da CunhaSaint Kitts and NevisSaint LuciaSaint Martin (French part)Saint Pierre and MiquelonSaint Vincent and the GrenadinesSamoaSan MarinoSao Tome and PrincipeSaudi ArabiaSenegalSerbiaSeychellesSierra LeoneSingaporeSint Maarten (Dutch part)SlovakiaSloveniaSolomon IslandsSomaliaSouth AfricaSouth Georgia and the South Sandwich IslandsSouth SudanSpainSri LankaSudanSurinameSvalbard and Jan MayenSwazilandSwedenSwitzerlandSyrian Arab RepublicTaiwanTajikistanTanzania, United Republic ofThailandTimor-LesteTogoTokelauTongaTrinidad and TobagoTunisiaTurkeyTurkmenistanTurks and Caicos IslandsTuvaluUgandaUkraineUnited Arab EmiratesUnited KingdomUnited StatesUruguayUzbekistanVanuatuVenezuela, Bolivarian Republic ofVietnamVirgin Islands, BritishWallis and FutunaWestern SaharaYemenZambiaZimbabweI also wish to receive emails from AAAS/Science and Science advertisers, including information on products, services and special offers which may include but are not limited to news, careers information & upcoming events.Required fields are included by an asterisk(*)center_img Daniel Coomber/Flickr (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0) By Erik StokstadSep. 14, 2017 , 2:45 PM After uproar, U.K. Parliament’s science committee now has a female memberlast_img read more

IPL created harmony among foreign players: Jayawardene

first_imgInternational cricketers share much better relations due to the Indian Premier League as the Twenty20 event has given them an opportunity to know each other, feels Sri Lankan vice-captain Mahela Jayawardene.”It has opened doors for harmony among the players. In the IPL, you get to know other foreign players better. we have created better relations as a result of that,” he said.Jayawardene said the concept of the IPL and the various Twenty20 leagues across the globe has a lot of potential.”We have seen that in the IPL, we have seen that in the English counties, we have seen that in the Big Bash, that’s the way forward for Twenty20 cricket,” he said in a function to announce an Indian sponsor for the Sri Lankan team ‘Wayamba XI’, which will participate in the Champions League Twenty20 next month.”I think that will evolve quite a bit, just having the Twenty20 World Cup for the national teams, and then the 50-over cricket and Test matches will take a different path.”When the IPL came for the first time, everyone was surprised. But n the second and third year you saw how it became such a big thing,” Jayawardene said.Jayawardene, who will play for the Wayamba team in the Champions league, said the tournament will grow in stature with time.”People now understand what the concept is all about, we need to give it some more time and it will improve,” he said.Wayamba is captained by Jehan Mubarak and includes Mahela Jayawardene, Ajantha Mendis, Rangana Herath, Thisara Perera, Farveez Maharoof and Mahela Udawatte.advertisementSpeaking on the occasion, Sri Lanka Cricket secretary Nishantha Ranatunga said the Twenty20 version of the game can co-exist alongside Test cricket.”From the board’s point and personal point of view, I see Twenty20 as another product, We have Test cricket, one-day cricket and Twenty20 cricket,” Ranatunga said on Tuesday.”From the players’ point of view they have to prove themselves in all three formats. From the board’s point of view, I don’t see any harm as far as the players get the right breaks.”So far, we have been happy and lucky that the players have had the right breaks and participated in the country’s tournaments. It is good to have more competitive cricket, people like it, why not give it,” Ranatunga said.last_img read more

Australia finish day one unbeaten

first_img@Eden_RichardsThe Australian Men’s Open side has capped off a perfect day for the Aussies, defeating New Zealand 9-4 in an emphatic team display.The win means Australia went through Day One of the Trans Tasman Series undefeated, with both the Women’s Open team and the Mixed Open side defeating their New Zealand counterparts earlier in the day.The Australian Men put in a full 40-minute performance to finish Friday’s fixtures, never once falling behind New Zealand. Australia opened the scoring in the 3rd minute through Jordan Marshall King who received a cheeky pass from Samuel Brisby after the speedy Aussie cut straight through New Zealand’s defence.New Zealand didn’t take long to reply, with Mitamumrua Graham finding Sean Law with a flat pass to make it 1-1 in the 4th minute.But Australia hit the lead in the 5th minute after a superb passage of play resulted in Peter Norman dummying to score.In what was a tight first eight minutes, New Zealand hit back again, scoring a try in the right corner after an outstanding catch from Tarkyn Loloselo saw him level the scores at 2-2.However, Australia quickly regained the lead when Matt Prowse crossed for a touchdown in the 9th minute.And the Aussies didn’t let the Kiwis respond this time, scoring back-to-back touchdowns courtesy of a huge overlap that saw Brisby cross the line and give Australia a 4-2 lead.That’s how it stayed until the final seconds of the first half, with Prowse crossing for his second touchdown of the match right on the half-time siren.That touchdown gave Australia a 5-2 lead at the break and meant New Zealand would have a lot to do in the second half if they were to salvage anything from this match-up.And the Kiwis responded by starting the second half in great fashion, scoring through Connah Pamatatau to cut the margin to two in the 24th minute.At 5-3 in the 35th minute New Zealand had to be the next team to score and they couldn’t do that, instead letting Marshall King score his second touchdown to extend Australia’s lead to 6-3.The Aussies now had all the momentum and when Dean Springfield scored in the right corner for Australia it became now or never for New Zealand with seven minutes to play and a four-touchdown margin.But it wasn’t to be for the Kiwis, with Scott Buckley scoring in the 37th minute to give Australia an 8-3 lead and all but ice the game.Buckley grabbed another in the last minute of play, putting an exclamation point on a comprehensive performance from Australia.New Zealand managed to score a consolation touchdown with the last play of the day, but the damage had been done by that point, with Australia winning by five touchdowns.The two sides will meet again on Saturday and the Kiwis will be desperate to keep the Series alive.Australia 9 (Marshall King 2, Prowse 2, Buckley 2, Norman, Brisby, Springfield touchdowns) defeated New Zealand 4 (Loloselo, Soutar-Finch, Law, Pamatatau touchdowns)Related LinksMen’s Wrap Day Onelast_img read more

10 months agoMourinho blamed for delays over Man Utd technical director hire

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Mourinho blamed for delays over Man Utd technical director hireby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveJose Mourinho is being blamed for the delays at Manchester United over their intention to appoint a first ever technical director.The Independent says United have no plans to replace Mourinho at present and remain supportive. However, there is growing frustration at United, with one discussion centring on whether Mourinho wants the club to appoint a director of football and what the remit would be.United want to make the appointment, which would be the first in their history, and accept that it is now a necessary role and they are out of step with their rivals.While Mourinho is not believed to be against the idea there is a belief that it will be hard to make an appointment that he will be satisfied with.It may mean that United have to delay their plans until Mourinho leaves – whether that is next summer, or even before then, or when his deal (which he has the option to extend for another 12 months) – expires in 2020.It is even understood that some candidates to be director of football are unsure as to whether they would want to take over at present. last_img read more

10 months agoAndros Townsend in line for new Crystal Palace deal

first_imgAndros Townsend in line for new Crystal Palace dealby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveAndros Townsend is in line for a new deal at Crystal Palace.The Sun says Townsend will be handed a contract extension to reward his stunning form.The 27-year-old has started every Premier League game this season and scored a goal-of-the-season contender with a screamer in the win at Manchester City.Townsend has two full-seasons on his current deal but Roy Hodgson, who handed him his England debut in 2013, views him as a key player for the future.The Palace winger wants his future secured as he is pushing for an England recall after missing out on the World Cup last summer. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more