String of school shooting threats cause Fort Nelson School District to bolster security at cost of $25,000

first_imgFORT NELSON, B.C. – The latest of a trio of school shooting threats against students in Fort Nelson this year has caused officials with School District #81 to bolster security measures at area schools – measures that will be making a sizeable dent in the school district’s budget.Back in February, the School District sent a letter sent home to parents saying that it had received reports of graffiti that contained an alleged threat that a shooting would occur at the school on February 6th. Last month, another threat of a school shooting was found to have been graffitied on the side of R.L. Angus School, which said a shooting would occur there on May 7th and 8th. The School District said it responded to both occurrences by calling the RCMP, who maintained an increased presence at the schools in the days following both instances.This past Wednesday, the School District sent home another letter to parents from Superintendent Diana Samchuk, which says that graffiti was found at Fort Nelson Secondary threatening that a school shooting would take place on June 20th – the final day of classes for the school year.- Advertisement -Samchuk said that the RCMP are currently investigating the graffiti, while Safer Schools Together – the company that delivers the provincial violence Threat Assessment – has also been contacted. She said that the District has also locked all of the school’s doors, meaning everyone will have to use the front door until the end of the year, while police will also be increasing patrols of the area.The District sent home another letter to parents outlining alternative arrangements it has made for students writing their final exams on June 20th.Samchuk added that over the summer, the District will be upgrading security at all of its schools by adding more security cameras, installing windows into all classroom doors, and updating door locks. She said that the cost of those extra security measures will cost the District approximately $25,000.Advertisementlast_img read more

Google Media Server Launched – Google Enters the PC to TV Arena

first_imgTop Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting steve ohear last100 editor 1 A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Related Posts Tags:#Digital Lifestyle#web center_img 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Google today made its own contribution to solving the PC to TV problem with the release of Google Media Server. The Windows-only software works in conjunction with Google’s desktop search application – Google Desktop – to locate various media (photos, music and video) stored on your PC and make it available for streaming over a home network to any UPnP compatible or DLNA ‘certified’ device, such as a PlayStation 3.Syndicated from last100, our digital lifestyle blog While many UPnP server solutions already exist for Windows (it’s a pity Google hasn’t targeted Mac users), Google Media Server does bring a few specific features to the table. Namely support for Internet-based content from its photo sharing service Picasa, along with videos hosted on YouTube (using H.264 not Flash Video). From this we can conclude that Google Media Server is designed to make Google’s desktop search application that bit more useful, as well as offer another means of accessing YouTube on a TV.Of course, Google Media Server could also be another sign that the company is testing the waters for a much more ambitious living room strategy — see Google wants to do for TV what it did for the Web.This post is syndicated from last100, our digital lifestyle blog covering Internet TV, digital music, Mobile Web and more. You can subscribe to last100 here.See also last100’s recently published guide: DLNA certified: how your computer, cellphone, games console, media streamer and other devices can play nicely togetherlast_img read more

iPad Killing Netbooks Already?

first_imgApple’s Initial Supply StrugglesApple, too, was caught a little off-guard by the iPad’s initial success, which led to supply issues that delayed the international launch by a month. On May 3, the company released a statement which quoted Jobs as saying that iPad “demand continues to exceed supply…” Some have claimed that Apple is creating artificial demand for the product to generate interest, but analysts believe that Apple is just having difficulty scaling up production due to manufacturing complexity. However, Broadpoint AmTech analyst Brian Marshall says the learning curve the company is facing is “only temporary.” Even with production delays, Apple sold 1 million iPads in 28 days, touts a recent press release – “less than half of the 74 days it took to achieve this milestone with the iPhone,” it reads.Clearly, there is still a pent-up desire for low-cost, portable computing, but it seems the tide may be shifting from netbook-sized “totables” to touch-screens. Considering that the pre-iPad month of December saw a still respectable 179% year-over-year growth for the netbook market, it’s hard not to draw comparisons between Apple’s news and the netbook market as a whole. Morgan Stanley’s Katy Huberty certainly does, claiming the tanking sales are “collateral damage,” says DeWitt, from Apple’s tablet announcement and launch. iPad Cannibalizing Other MarketsIn case you’re still not convinced that this correlation is also causation, Huberty digs up a Morgan Stanley/Alphawise survey from March focused on consumer buying intent. Here, she found that 44% of U.S. consumers planned to buy an iPad instead of a notebook or netbook computer. sarah perez Related Posts What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagementcenter_img An interesting chart released from Morgan Stanley Research this morning shows that during the month of April – the month the iPad launched – netbook sales stalled. Did the iPad really have that much impact on an industry that was once the fastest-growing segment of the PC market? Or was the netbook’s fall from grace bound to happen at some point, with or without the Apple tablet’s help, as consumers discovered how hard it is to type on those tiny keyboards?The netbook market saw incredible growth around this time last year. CNNMoney’s Philip Elmer-DeWitt, who uncovered the chart in a research report about HP’s acquisition of Palm, notes that netbook sales peaked last summer at “an astonishing 641% year-over-year growth rate.” But in January, coincidentally (or not?) the same month that Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced the forthcoming tablet computer dubbed the iPad, netbook sales took a nose dive. But by nose dive, we mean they only saw 68% year-over-year growth during this time frame, the first month of the new year. That’s not actually all that bad, is it? It only looks bad in comparison to the incredible numbers netbooks saw last summer. But what’s more telling is that the numbers continued to trend downwards since then: 53% in February, 25% in March and a meager 5% in April. Did consumers rush out and buy iPads instead of netbooks? Or do they plan to at some point, a decision which is now affecting netbook sales? Tags:#Apple#mobile#NYT#Trends#web The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technology Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaceslast_img read more

Elite rookie Jose vows to work hard after signing 3-year max deal

first_imgPBA takes All-Star festivities to provinces anew Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “I was really thinking about it these past few days. I prayed that I will get the deal I deserve and I promised that I will really work hard for this.”Luckily for Jose, he has familiar faces in Far Eastern U alums Denok Miranda and Mac Belo in the Elite camp which made his adjustment period much easier.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games opening“The transition was really easy because I have them here. I’ve already learned a lot in the two weeks I spent here and I’m not scared to ask them things. They really help me a lot,” said Jose, who was the third overall pick in last month’s rookie draft.But the 25-year-old isn’t just satisfied with cracking the Blackwater roster. This early, he’s readying himself in facing bigger and tougher frontcourt players once he makes his PBA debut. After 30 years, Johnlu Koa still doing ‘hard-to-make’ quality breads Malditas save PH from shutout LATEST STORIES Jordan delivers on promise: 2 Cobra choppers now in PH “I know I will face veteran players who are bigger and more experienced that me, so I have to prepare myself for that,” he said.“It’s a big help that I was exposed to professional players too in the international games, but all I’ll do is focus on what coach will run for us.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim The Fatted Calf and Ayutthaya: New restos worth the drive to Tagaytay MRT 7 on track for partial opening in 2021 Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:02Chief Justice Peralta vows to lead by example, bares 10-point program02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games MOST READ FILE PHOTO – Raymar Jose was picked third by Blackwater in the 2017 PBA Rookie Draft. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netRaymar Jose inked a maximum P8.5 million deal with Blackwater on Monday.“I’m happy that everything went okay,” Jose said in Filipino, finally making a decision of signing the three-year pact after initially being offered a one-year, P1.8 million contract.ADVERTISEMENT ‘A complete lie:’ Drilon refutes ‘blabbermouth’ Salo’s claims Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ View commentslast_img read more

Devastated employees and struggling Canadian content Behind the scenes of Shomis shutdown

first_img LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Advertisement “Hey Shomis,” said Shomi general manager David Asch. That jingle marked the start of every team meeting at the jointly-owned Rogers-Shaw streaming service, but former Shomi employee Cassandra James, noted something different in his voice that afternoon.“It was almost like he told us that our pet had died,” she remembered. She strolls into our meeting with her hands in the front pocket of her hoodie. After she reaches across the table to shake my hand, she recalls the day she found out that Shomi was shutting down.“I actually left. There’s this thing with my anxiety that I don’t like people witnessing my emotions,” said James. She left the room immediately after hearing the news and headed to the washroom to wipe away the tears and splash cold water on her face. Upon leaving, she noticed several colleagues lined up outside the bathroom for what she presumed to be the same reason.If content rules, Netflix is King At this point, Shomi had been operational for two years and was the first English-language streaming service to launch in Canada after Neftlix. Login/Register With: Advertisement Facebook Twitterlast_img read more