WILMINGTON, MA — At December’s Finance Committee meeting, Chair John Doherty made a request of Town Manager Jeff Hull to post all of the town’s employment contracts on the town’s website.Doherty pointed out that many municipalities are voluntarily posting their contracts online in the name of transparency. He’d like to see Wilmington follow suit. Doherty noted that such contracts are considered “public” documents.Town Manager Jeff Hull recently notified Superintendent Glenn Brand of the Finance Committee’s desire to see collective bargaining and individual employee contracts posted on the town’s website.According to a memo from Brand to the School Committee, Andrew Waugh, the school district’s attorney Andrew Waugh, has advised that “while it is customary for districts to post collective bargaining agreements online, it would be prudent to consult the School Committee members regarding the posting of individual employee contracts, as the decision about whether or not to post may be viewed as a policy decision; therefore it is ultimately a decision that the School Committee and Superintendent would need to make.”The School Committee will have a discussion surrounding Doherty’s request at their meeting this Wednesday night.(NOTE: Cover photo from Jamie Boudreau’s Airgoz Aerial Photography.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedSCHOOL COMMITTEE & SUPERINTENDENT: We Have Building Needs That Must Be AddressedIn “Education”SELECTMEN NEWS: Big Issues To Be Discussed At Tonight’s Meeting (August 13)In “Government”SELECTMEN NOTEBOOK: 5 Things That Happened At Last Week’s Selectmen’s MeetingIn “Government”
Private sector carrier Jet Airways will launch its direct daily flights from Bengaluru to Singapore starting from tomorrow and is also planning to make Bengaluru its third domestic hub in the near future.The full service airline, which currently flies to 45 domestic destinations and 20 international destinations from the IT capital of the country, will launch its flight services to Colombo from Bengaluru from January 5, 2017.”The population to travelers’ ratio in Bengaluru is higher than other metro cities, indicating its business potential. With the launch of Bengaluru- Singapore flight, we will further expand the city’s connectivity with ASEAN region,” Vice-president (commercial) of Jet Airways, Praveen Iyer told reporters here.The private carrier with around 12 percent market share is also planning to make the southern city its third domestic hub in the near future.”The city with its IT and biotechnology prowess is increasingly gaining prominence as a global investment destination, resulting in significant growth in aviation traffic. Given the rising importance of the city, we intend to make it our third domestic hub in the near future,” Iyer said. He, however, declined to give any timeline.Meanwhile, the company will also launch its Bengaluru- Colombo flight starting from January 5, 2017 in its bid to provide higher connectivity to Australia and other south east Asian nations.Notably, South India contributes around 30 percent of company’s revenue and has seen a rising graph in recent years.When asked about competition in these new routes, Iyer said that despite competition, potential for growth was high and the company hoped to tap the rising flyers’ interest in this route.India’s second biggest airline by market share posted a consolidated net profit of Rs 85 crore in the July-September quarter of this fiscal, up 2.5 percent over the same period of last fiscal. The airline’s consolidated revenue increased by 3 percent to Rs 5,864.5 crore during this period.
Indian rescue workers look for survivors in the debris of a collapsed building in Mumbai on 31 August 2017. Photo: AFPAt least 12 people died Thursday when a building collapsed in India’s financial capital Mumbai following heavy rains that have wreaked havoc in many parts of South Asia.More than a dozen others were pulled from the rubble of the four-storey residential building, which gave way around 08:40 am (0310 GMT) in the densely populated area of Bhendi Bazaar.It was the most recent deadly housing collapse to strike the teeming metropolis — shining a spotlight on poor construction standards in the Asian country — and came after flooding in the city killed 10 people.”Twelve people have died including three women and nine men. Rescue operations are ongoing,” Vijay Khabale-Patil, a spokesman for Mumbai’s civic authority, told AFP.Ambulances rushed more than a dozen injured to the nearby J.J. Hospital in the south of the city while locals joined a 43-member NDRF team in picking through piles of debris in a desperate hunt for survivors.”I can confirm that 11 people are dead and 15 have been brought here injured, including three who are in a critical condition,” the dean of the hospital, T.P. Lahane, told AFP.Building collapses are common in Mumbai, especially during the monsoon season from late June to September, when heavy rains lash the western Indian city, weakening poorly built structures.Severe downpours caused flooding and chaos across Mumbai and the neighbouring region of Thane on Tuesday although waters had receded by late Wednesday.Bhendi Bazaar, a scruffy colonial-era market, is one of Mumbai’s most historic districts and officials said the collapsed building was 117 years old.It had been marked for demolition as part of a $600 million redevelopment project that is currently replacing hundreds of ramshackle, decades-old low-rise buildings with around a dozen glitzy new tower blocks.- Living in fear -Distraught residents said they rushed to the scene of the collapsed structure after hearing a loud crash.”There was a huge noise and we all came running,” Naseem Mogradia, who lives two lanes away, told AFP.Shahid Khan, 52, said he didn’t know whether his friend and seven family members who lived on the ground floor were alive or dead.”I am just trying to help with rescue operations,” he told AFP.Mumbai has been hit by several deadly building collapses in recent years, often caused by shoddy construction, poor quality materials or ageing buildings.Millions are forced to live in cramped, ramshackle properties because of spiralling real estate prices and a lack of housing for the poor.Activists say housing societies, private owners and builders often cut corners to save on costs.Rent control acts mean landlords cannot afford to maintain buildings while poor people choose to remain in homes even after they have been declared unsafe because they have nowhere else to go.”Most of the buildings in Bhendi Bazaar are old and dilapidated. We always live in fear that they will collapse during monsoons,” 63-year-old Mohammed Shaikh told AFP.In July, 17 people including a three-month-old baby died when a four-storey building gave way in the northern suburb of Ghatkopar.In 2013, 60 people were killed when a residential block came crashing down in one of Mumbai’s worst housing disasters.On Thursday officials in Mumbai said the death toll from floods in and around the city were expected to rise above 10 as the waters receded.”We are still on the lookout for more missing persons and the number may go up,” Santosh Kadam, spokesman for disaster control in Thane, told AFP.More than 1,200 have been killed India, Nepal and Bangladesh in devastating floods this monsoon season.
The International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, Netherlands. Photo: AFPThe International Criminal Court (ICC) has constituted pre-trial Chamber-III demonstrating further progress over ongoing process to look into the atrocities committed against the Rohingyas, reports UNB.The chamber is composed of judge Robert Fremr, judge Olga Herrera Carbuccia and judge Geoffrey Henderson , according to a media release issued by ICC on Wednesday.This decision follows a notice by the ICC prosecutor Fatou Bensouda informing the presidency of her intention to submit a request for an authorisation to open an investigation into this situation.Bangladesh is now hosting over 1.2 million Rohingyas and most of them entered Bangladesh since 25 August , 2017 amid military crackdown on them in Rakhine state of Myanmar.The prosecutor has notified judges that she will seek an authorisation “to investigate alleged crimes within the court’s jurisdiction in which at least one element occurred on the territory of Bangladesh – a state party to the Rome Statute since 1 June 2010 – and within the context of two waves of violence in Rakhine state on the territory of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, as well as any other crimes which are sufficiently linked to these events”.Once the prosecutor submits her request, it will then be for the judges of Pre-Trial Chamber III to decide whether or not to authorise the prosecutor to open an investigation into the situation.The judges will have to consider whether there is a reasonable basis to proceed with an investigation, upon examination of the prosecutor’s request and the supporting material.On 6 September 2018, following a request submitted by the prosecutor pursuant to article 19(3) of the statute, ICC Pre-Trial Chamber I decided by majority that the court may exercise jurisdiction over the alleged deportation of the Rohingya people from Myanmar occurred on the territory of Myanmar to Bangladesh.On 18 September 2018, the prosecutor announced the opening of a preliminary examination concerning the alleged deportation of the Rohingya people from Myanmar to Bangladesh.