Deadline for Portland port dispute set

first_imgPORTLAND (AP) — A federal judge has set a Tuesday deadline for a deal to end a dispute that has slowed the flow of cargo at the Port of Portland. At a hearing Friday, former Gov. Ted Kulongoski told U.S. District Judge Michael Simon no agreement has been reached between the unions representing Longshoremen and electrical workers. The unions disagree about which workers should plug in and unplug refrigerated shipping containers — the equivalent of two full-time jobs.Simon appointed Kulongoski last week to broker a settlement. If there’s no deal by Tuesday, the judge said he may act on a request for a temporary restraining order that would require the Longshoremen to stop a work slowdown that has disrupted port operations for more than three weeks. Simon could also act on a separate temporary restraining order sought by the Longshoremen. It asks the judge to give them the disputed work.More than 1,000 regional businesses depend on the container terminal to get their goods to or from international markets.The conflict has led the two main shipping lines that serve the port’s Terminal 6 — Germany’s Hapag-Lloyd AG and South Korea’s Hanjin — to divert their ships to other ports. A Hapag-Lloyd ship, however, is tentatively scheduled to arrive at Terminal 6 late Tuesday or early Wednesday.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *