Serve deaf clients better ‘or face claims’

first_imgLaw firms could face unlimited discrimination claims from deaf and hard of hearing people if they continue failing to make ‘reasonable adjustments’, consumer watchdogs have warned. They claim that many deaf clients feel they have to ‘win a battle with their own advisers’ before they can succeed in a legal action, blaming firms’ ‘lack of preparation and consideration’ and failure to take into account their special needs. This slowness to engage with deaf clients prompted some 1,380 complaints and enquiries to the Royal Association for Deaf People (RAD) law centre between August 2007 and September 2011, with a further 429 received in the first seven months of 2011-2012. Most queries related to employment and welfare benefits, and to ­discrimination in the provision of goods and services. Britain has over 10 million people who are deaf or hard of hearing. Mounting concerns over discrimination have led to the announcement within the last month of two initiatives to improve ‘deaf awareness’. According to Legal Choices, Silent Process, published by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, the Legal Services Consumer Panel and Action on Hearing Loss, deaf clients often find that legal materials are not adapted for their needs and there are barriers to communication, such as badly maintained loop systems and poorly lit rooms. Firms often fail to provide sign language interpreters when requested, and there is confusion over who should pay for them, the report says. The SRA says it will be issuing best-practice guidelines to address these issues, including online ‘deaf awareness’ training covering interpreting services, how the law applies, and different ways of communicating with deaf people. Case law and legal principles will be illustrated with videos, along with ­common points of law and its vocabulary. RAD law centre head Rob Wilks told the Gazette that RAD is also to launch an initiative to ‘educate the legal profession as to the needs of the deaf community’. He said: ‘In addition to CPD-accredited training and workshops, we will be establishing a charter to which law firms committed to providing a service to deaf people can aspire to sign up to. It is intended that this will become the definitive UK benchmark for law firms and other providers to deaf people.’last_img read more

Building buys a pint … for Turner & Townsend

first_imgTo continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Subscribe now for unlimited access Get your free guest access  SIGN UP TODAY Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our communitylast_img read more

Final tender issued for LGV Bretagne

first_imgFRANCE: Infrastructure manager RFF confirmed on July 21 that it had issued the final tender documents to the three bidders shortlisted for the ‘partnership contract’ to build LGV Bretagne-Pays de la Loire between Le Mans and Rennes. The three consortia led by Bouygues, Vinci and Eiffage have been given until mid-October to submit their best and final offers, with RFF expecting to select a preferred bidder by the end of this year.After submitting their initial proposals on December 16 2009, the three consortia entered negotiations with RFF over the terms of the proposed partnership, and the infrastructure manager announced in April that all three would be invited to submit final bids.Under the proposed PPP arrangement, the winning bidder will take charge of construction of the new line and maintenance for the life of the concession, whilst RFF will be responsible for putting together the funding package, and for managing operations when the line opens.Awarded a Declaration of Public Utility in October 2007, the project involves the construction of 214 km of new line, of which 182 km will be for high speed. The route will run from a junction with the existing LGV Atlantique branche at Connerré, 20 km east of Le Mans, to Rennes, with a connection rejoining the existing line to Nantes. Completion of the line is expected to cut Paris – Rennes journey times by 37 min to 1 h 26 min, and reduce the Paris – Nantes timings by 8 min to 1 h 52 min. RFF President Hubert du Mesnil said the announcement marked another step in the railway development strategy under the government’s Grenelle de l’Environnement., which envisages the construction of 2 000 km of new lines by 2020. Coming a few days after the award of the Tours – Bordeaux concession, it demonstrated that the PPP programme was proceeding on schedule. ‘RFF is pursuing with determination its mission to modernise and develop the rail network’, he insisted.last_img read more

Czech Republic to send troops to join anti-terror war in Africa

first_imgTalk Africa: Africa in 2014 FILE: Cars damaged by conflict in Dori, northern Burkina Faso, 23 May 2019. (Photo by Giles Clarke/UNOCHA via Getty Images)The Czech government on Monday approve a Defense Ministry plan to deploy troops to the counter-terrorism drive in Africa.The approval greenlights the deployment of up to 60 troops to join France’s anti-terror mission in the continent.The Czech team will join the French mission in the troubled Sahel region, dubbed Operation Barkhane.The mission is France’s largest outside its borders and was started in 2014 to fight Islamist terrorism and help local governments gain control of their territories from the militant groups.The Czech government said Mali, Niger and Chad approved the deployment of its troops.The Czechs already have some 120 troops in Mali as a part of an European Union training mission.Related Talk Africa: Industrializing Africacenter_img West Africa under increasing threats of terror attackslast_img read more

Naval Dome Calls on Insurers to Revoke Clause CL 380

first_img Author: Baibhav Mishra Naval Dome has called on marine insurers to revoke the controversial Clause CL 380 and implement policies that insure against the risk of cyber-attacks on ship systems.Speaking in Cape Town, South Africa, today during the International Union of Marine Insurance’s (IUMI) annual conference, Naval Dome CEO Itai Sela said that with the maritime industry increasingly moving towards connected, cloud-based technologies and autonomous operation, a 15-year-old Clause that excludes damage to computer systems, code or software is archaic.The Clause in contention reads:Subject only to clause 1.2 below, in no case shall this insurance cover loss damage liability or expense directly or indirectly caused by or contributed to by or arising from the use or operation, as a means for inflicting harm, of any computer, computer system, computer software programme, malicious code, computer virus or process or any other electronic system. 2.1: Where this clause is endorsed on policies covering risks of war, civil war, revolution, rebellion, insurrection, or civil strife arising therefrom, or any hostile act by or against a belligerent power, or terrorism or any person acting from a political motive, Clause 1.1 shall not operate to exclude losses (which would otherwise be covered) arising from the use of any computer, computer system or computer software program or any other electronic system in the launch and/or guidance system and/or firing mechanism of any weapon or missile.“Why do insurers continue to implement CL 380 when there is a high probability that a computer will be hacked and, importantly, when there are many different ways and means of protecting shipboard computer systems?” Sela asked IUMI members.“What we have is an industry on the cusp of a technological change. The rapid implementation of advanced autonomous technologies and machine learning capabilities will change the way in which ships are operated, but such developments will also leave the industry open to more system breaches and unauthorised intrusion unless there are systems and policies in place to mitigate against such risks.”Sela suggested the maritime industry should follow the automotive sector’s lead. The sector has introduced software-based safety solutions to road vehicles that, despite not being initiated by the insurer, have proven to protect drivers (and insurers) against theft or damage, which helps towards mitigating risk and reduce premiums.As an example, MobilEye, a technology Intel bought in 2017, is now commonplace in vehicles and has helped improve road safety, reduce human error, possibly determine culpability and reduce insurance premiums for those that have it.“Why then, considering the current evolving maritime situation and the increase in cyber-attacks – which the insurance sector repeatedly warns of a need to protect against – is there no cyber insurance policy? Sela pondered.While we await the insurance industry response, the MobilEye analogy is a useful one in that the Naval Dome solution could well be the maritime industry equivalent.Sea News, September 19last_img read more

Beermen ekes out 1st win; Kiefer-less NLEX nips Elite

first_imgTiongson finished with double-double 10 points and 10 assists to go along with five rebounds, while Mallari had 10 points, five boards and five assists. Ilonggo Emman Monfort also had a solid game of 5 points, seven rebounds and three steals.Balkman led Beermen – the defending champion – with double-double 35 points and 17 rebounds. Rookie Christian Standhardinger added 18 while Santos and Cabagnot had 13 points each.San Miguel Beermen rookie Christian Standhardinger rises for a layup against Phoenix Fuel Masters. PBA“We really need this victory badly. We’re trying our best na makuha namin iyong chemistry namin,” said Beermen head coach Leo Austria. “We’re in a situation na ’di kami kailangan magkamali.”Phelps finished with near triple-double (33 points, 17 rebounds and eight assists) while Matthew Wright chipped in 17 markers for Fuel Masters (3-3).It was import Arnett Moultrie who played a key role for Road Warriors down the stretch as he anchored the team’s 13-0 run to turn the 77-86 deficit to a 90-86 advantage.Moultrie finished the match with double-double 26 points and 16 rebounds for Road Warriors (2-4). Elite remained winless in six games./PN Henry Walker of Blackwater Elite goes up against Raoul Soyud of NLEX Road Warriors. PBA MANILA – San Miguel Beermen came up with huge plays down the stretch to score 106-94 over Phoenix Fuel Masters in the 2018 PBA Commissioner’s Cup last night at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.Scores were tied 88-all when Beermen came up with 8 straight points – a triple from Arwind Santos, a three-point play from June Mar Fajardo and a dunk by Renaldo Balkman – for a 96-88 lead.After a split free throw from Fuel Masters’ import Eugene Phelps, Beermen pulled away for good with baskets from Alex Cabagnot, Fajardo and Santos for its largest lead at 103-89.A game prior, NLEX Road Warriors banked on its reserve guards Juan Miguel Tiongson and Alex Mallari in lieu of suspended Kiefer Ravena as it cruised to a 93-89 victory over Blackwater Elite.last_img read more

Epic marriage proposal with a Harley-Davidson motorcycle

first_imgImage Source: NetEase Lady in China proposes to boyfriend with a Harley-Davidson motorcycle. Image source: NetEaseIt’s not everyday that you hear of a lady proposing marriage to a man, more so if it included a Harley-Davidson motorcycle of all things besides the customary ring.Well, that’s exactly what a lady in China did and the story has since gone viral in the republic. Online daily Shanghaiist reports that the woman from Chengdu even dressed up in a white wedding dress and knelt down to her man when she popped the question.Image source: NetEaseThe report further indicated that the Harley-Davidson motorcycle wasn’t the only gift in her proposal It also came packaged together with a property deed.As the story went, the young lady actually rode the Harley-Davidson over in her wedding dress to meet her man. She even shouted, “I finally earned enough money for your beloved Harley! Marry me! I will put your name on the property deed!”Image source: NetEaseClearly, the man was flabbergasted with the proposal as reports indicated that he simply nodded and agreed to his lady’s proposal.In a country with an unbalanced gender ratio in its population, Shanghaiist further highlight ladies in China now seem to hold a lot of the power when it comes to marriage.Surely, most of us here in Malaysia would find it hard to say no to such a proposal, especially when you’re getting a brand new bike! We wish all the best for this lovely Chinese couple in their upcoming nuptial.(Image source: NetEase)–Ads–last_img read more

National Weather Service Issues Flood Advisory South of Kenai

first_imgAll of those factors combined are resulting in elevated chances of areas like the Anchor River and other small streams to flood in coming days. The alert states that the combination of temperatures in the upper 30s to lower 40s and the recent heavy snowfall have increased the amount of runoff entering local waterways. FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The National Weather Service has issued a flood advisory for streams and rivers on the Western Kenai Peninsula south of Kenai. The lower section of the Anchor River is the most susceptible to high water due to the ice jam from earlier in the winter that has frozen solidly in place. The flood advisory is in effect until Tuesday afternoon.center_img There are also multiple rounds of rainfall possible over the next several days. If a flooded area impacts a roadway, the National Weather Service says do not attempt to travel through that area because it only takes a few inches of swiftly moving water to carry vehicles away. The National Weather Service says local law enforcement agencies will take reports of flooding and relay those to the NWS Forecast Office.last_img read more

Japan wins Asian Five Nations opener

first_img IN FIVE EASY PIECES WITH TAKE 5 GET THE BEST OF THE JAPAN TIMES DAEGU, South Korea (Kyodo) Defending champion Japan clobbered South Korea 71-13 in its opener of the 2010 Asian Five Nations on Saturday.Kosuke Endo was the man to watch, scoring five of Japan’s 11 tries at Gyeongsan Rugby Stadium. South Korea slipped to its second defeat.center_img John Kirwan’s side got off to a sluggish start and only led 19-3 at halftime before breaking the game open in the second stanza.Japan, which is bidding for its seventh consecutive World Cup appearance, heads back to Tokyo to take on the Arabian Gulf at Chichibu Memorial Ground on May 8. The clear favorites, the Brave Blossoms are seeking their third straight title. last_img read more

Berry becomes program leader at pregnancy center

first_imgBecoming the program leader at The Pregnancy Help seemed like the perfect opportunity for April Ray Berry. It allowed her to do two things that are close to her heart- teach and hold babies.Around eight weeks ago, Berry, a Stinking Creek native, assumed the role of program leader for the center that is devoted to expectant and new mothers.Berry had previously worked in the living skills program at Campbell County High School. The skill set she applied in that program made for an easy transition into her new role.“This job allows me to do everything I love and I get to hold babies,” she said smiling,Since undertaking the position, Berry has been seeing six clients a day, teaching them about pre and post natal care. While The Pregnancy Help Center has a client base of around 50 participants Berry would like to see the program expand in terms of participants and volunteers.“I want to see this program to grow and be just as big as the Lord will let it get,” she said.At the center, those who are expecting, or have a child younger than two years old, are privy to classes that cover a multitude of topics. Expectant mothers are given information about their pregnancy and what to anticipate during labor and delivery, according to Berry. The other classes are centered on developmental milestones and raising the child.As the women complete goals within the program, they are given baby bucks. These bucks can be used to purchase new items at The Pregnancy Center store. The women can buy anything from new baby clothes to a new crib with the rewards earned in the program.Ginnie Miceli (left) and April Berry (right) are two welcoming faces at the Pregnancy Center.Recently the additional topics of building positive partnerships, money management and how to apply for a job have been added, Berry said.Volunteers are trained by the staff and given the opportunity to shadow the experienced volunteers, she said.The program is open to any woman who is pregnant or has a child six months of age or younger. It is not income based and although it is run by Catholic Charities of East Tennessee, is not faith based.Women can refer themselves to the program but the majority of referrals comes from the area health departments and word of mouth, Berry said.Call 437-3416 for more information on the program or to volunteer.(WLAF NEWS PUBLISHED – 06/13/2018-6AM)Share this:FacebookTwitterlast_img read more